Monday, December 07, 2009

7.12.09

So far I’ve written a week’s worth of lunch and dinner ideas for Jake. This is an accomplishment. I made tuna and chickpea spread on wholemeal muffins and he ate one. Another accomplishment. Now the weekend is over, I’m left with a gnawing sense of anxiety. For spending so much time doing something for myself? As if I should always be labouring under some responsibility and suffering for it. I was not brought up to enjoy life. Fun was considered immoral. Only now, in retirement, do my parents tell me that all they want is for me to be happy.

2 comments:

Glovecat said...

Wow, I can COMPLETELY relate to this anxiety you write about. I too was raised with a very strong work ethic and now find myself needing to continually ACHIEVE, and I feel guilty when I am not doing anything "productive" - as though relaxing or doing something for myself were not acceptable, or indeed, NECESSARY! Now I try to trick myself into doing enjoyable things by putting them on my list of things to do! So amongst the other important things like doing the accounts, or whatever, I now put "go for a walk" or "practise violin" - it's so stupid - I'm a self-employed musician, so surely practising my violin is AS important as the accounts. Yet it always seems like practising the violin or going for a walk are too pleasant to be allowed! Argh! We must free ourselves from this madness...

Emily

Beth said...

Until relatively recently, I never really realised that feeling like this was unusual. My feelings of inadequacy about having parents who live in a show home and never stop doing sensible, worthwhile things and never stop getting at me about things I'm (not) doing ... I thought most people didn't live up to their parents expectations and felt constantly anxious as a result.

It's nice to find some people who feel the same, although I'm sorry that you do feel the same, because it's horrible.

Maybe I shouldn't be doing my list at all, but just be happy to live amongst the chaos ;)