Wednesday, February 01, 2006

View through the back door - in black & white, 27.11.05


For my drawing in colour course Posted by Picasa

I gave up on this drawing because I was frustrated with the way the light was changing as I drew, and didn't know how to deal with it. I wasn't going to post it because I thought it wasn't a very successful drawing, but my tutor thought otherwise. So I've decided to post both the drawings that I think are successful, and the ones I think aren't, because who knows what I could learn from the comments of others!

My tutor's comments: I liked this drawing because of the way that you used thick black lines to divide areas of tone. I think it is a shame that you gave up on it. Changing light can be extremely frustrating when making a drawing and part of the difficulty, of this exercise in particular, is as much to do with making decisions as to what to make light and dark as it is to do with representing what you see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm not sure what I'm looking at. Perhaps the lighting isn't as good as it can be and is not doing the drawing justice. Perhaps it is in the shading?